4 октомври 2021 г.

"We are singers"

Go to Eleven: Rock 'n' Roll Singer's Diet and Exercises

by Lzzy Hale

The Diary, Sept.' 2021: link

 

We are athletes, poets, icons, and humanitarians: we are singers
 

Disclaimer: This is not the Bible. I'm not a doctor or vocal coach. This is just a brief collection of my personal research and rules of the road. Ultimately, you have to find what works for you; but maybe, through this, I will give you a place to start, and help you along in your Rock 'n' Roll journey.

Strict Singer Eating Habits (I hate the word "diet")

- No Alcohol or Caffeine. These are both very drying to your folds. And both affect your sleep. Remember, your vocal folds are the first to lose hydration, and the last to receive it. And a good singer needs lots of sleep, which is disrupted by any drug (yes, alcohol and caffeine are considered drugs). Alcohol not only dehydrates you, the numbing effects on both your throat and your brain make you out of touch with your instrument, which is controlled by feel. Caffeine is also a big leecher of your body's water, but it can also trigger acid reflux, which will literally fry your delicate folds, and make them swell, causing you to be hoarse. Now, I am a coffee fan, and I usually have a cup in the morning, then water for the rest of the day. And I do love a good beer, or glass of red wine, but I save these treats 'til post show.

- No Dairy or Gluten. These cause excess mucus, which can disrupt the delicate vibrations on your folds, and also cause you to clear your throat, or cough constantly; which will tire out your voice. In some cases it will cause post nasal drip, which will irritate and inflame the vocal folds, causing infection and hoarseness. I came to this conclusion through trial and error. I was diagnosed with asthma when I was 11, and have battled respiratory infections all my life. I've found that I am very susceptible to dairy and wheat allergies, so I avoid these before show to keep my airways healthy. I've also learned that, specifically for me, hard cheeses are less disruptive than milk or yogurt, so I occasionally indulge in cheese; but, again, I keep that to days off, and post show.

- No Fried Foods or Preservatives. These are hard on your body's digestive system, and offer no nutritional value at all. As a singers, our body is our instrument; we need proper nutrition to function properly. Fried foods can also trigger acid reflux. I don't like fried foods or high preservative foods anyway. Once you go a month or so without it, you lose your interest in the crap. These foods actually taste awful now.

- No Sugary or Excessively Salty Foods. The sugar leeches your body of nutrients, and the loads of salt leeches your body of precious water. Luckily, I've never been a "sweets" person; but I do love some salty snacks. I just try to go easy on tour.

- No Legumes, Nuts Sparingly. Most legumes (beans and peanuts) cause inflammation and excess gas, which is bad for a singer; some nuts in excess can cause inflammation or respiratory problems. Because of my respiratory problematic past, I avoid these mostly. When I do have nuts, it's just a handful, not a full bag/ tin. But again, you have to find what's right for you.

- No Extreme Hot or Cold Drinks Right before Stage or on Stage. This is just science. Hot expands, cold contracts. When you drink a hot beverage, it will cause the muscles in your throat to draw blood to the surface and become vulnerable to hemmoraging. A cold drink will cause the muscles to stiffen and be less flexible. Both are not good news for singers. Room temperature water is best. My rule is: I avoid extremes as it gets close to singing time. If you have a hot or cold beverage, do it early in the day; then drink room temperature water the rest of the day.

- Spicy Foods, Acidic Foods. This is something that has never really affected me. But you have to pay attention to what foods cause you heartburn, which can lead to acid reflux, aka instant death for vocals. Acid reflux is basically when you bath your delicate vocal folds in high octane stomach acid, which causes inflammation, infection, excess mucus, vulnerability to getting sick, and nodes. Like I said above, I've always had a huge tolerance for spicy foods. But no matter what foods I consume, I don't eat within 2 hours before singing, or 2 hours before sleeping, to avoid any problems.

- Yes to Veggies and Fruits. Both of these groups are hydrating because of their water content, easily digestible, and full of nutrients to keep us well. The rawer the better; make sure at least 60-80% of your diet consists of these. You can't go wrong with these two groups.

- Yes to Protein. I love meat; and due to my dislike of all bean related veggie versions, I don't go for the whole tofu/ foturky stuff. I eat proper meats with minimal sauces or add-ons. Protein from meat gives me the energy and nutrients I need to get through all the press, meet 'n' greets, and still be able to last the show. I am also a big fan of bone broth/ soups, which double as satisfying and hydrating.

- Yes to Lots of Water. I drink so much water, like 2-3 liters, and counting throughout the day. Clear pee is a great indication you're well hydrated. Pee clear = sing clear.

Reminder: No eating within two hours of singing, or within 2 hours of sleeping. You want to be properly digested. You don't want to be stuffed with dinner when you walk on stage, it'll make you physically sluggish.

Excercise Everyday

To release muscle tension, strengthen core and increase stamina. I do a small workout routine everyday. It keeps me strong, releases my muscle tension, improves my breath control, and gets my whole body ready for the Rock 'n' Roll beating I give it.

Warm up/ Cool down Every Gig

There is no set time, just warm up 'til you're ready; cool down 'til you feel normal. Some days it could take 20 mins, some days could be 45, some days you will just need to check to see everything is there. You'll have to get to know yourself. Be one with your body!

Sleep

Sleep at least 8 hours a night. This gives your body, and therefore your voice, some much needed rest, and a chance to recover from its Rock 'n' Roll beating. This means less partying for me. But I'm lucky to be successful enough to where I have to take good care of myself. Take pride in the fact that whether or not the band gets to slay, play and get paid rests on your shoulders!

Getting through a Cold 

It's important to up your fluids, shut your mouth, and get lots of rest. I've found that lemon water helps cut through all the gunky phlegmy crap, and boosts your vitamin C. Set aside a longer time to gently warm up your voice, and do it slowly (the humming into a vowel chant: "ah, ay, ee, eye, oh, oo" is a great way to slowly warm up your voice). This will also be where navigation of your resonance areas will come in handy. I know, when I get sick, falsetto is usually the first to go. So I usually alternate from my chest voice to head voice, or use a little whistle register to get by. Either way, the show must go on. But that being said, if you feel like the show is going to cause you damage, put your pride aside, and cancel the show! People will forgive you. You have to look out for you. Also, on the psychological end, don't psych yourself out. You may not sound 100%. But don't worry or freak out about it! Walk on stage, use what you got, and remember: it's all Rock 'n' Roll! Just have fun!

Here's a Sample of My Physical Workout

- Stretch and Roll out Muscles with a Trigger Point Roller, or Yoga Stretches. If you don't know what this is, look it up, it's been a life saver for my sore muscles, especially with all the flying I do.

- Myotatic Crunches. These you can do with the roller, or some sturdy pillows. I usually do them very slowly for about 11 reps.

- Glute Raises. This exercise helps my posture, and obviously my glutes and hamstrings.

- Hip Flexors. Also a good one to help with posture and my high heels (very important for a singer). I do about 30 secs on each side.

- Walking Lunges. I do 11 slow reps on each leg.

- Squats. I sometimes just let a song play, and do as many as I can for the duration.

- Planks. I do 1:30 on each side, front plank, both side planks, reverse plank and push-up plank.

- Cat Vomits. I do 11 reps held for 8-12 seconds.

- Chin-ups.

- At Least 20 to 30 mins (or about 5 Songs Worth) of Cardio. I alternate shadow boxing, kick boxing, jump rope, jumping jacks, knee highs, burpees, etc.: for the duration of about 5 songs. Although if it's a Black Sabbath song, that counts for two.

There's also the Peloton App with instructors that work great when you don't have the motivation.

Here's a Sample of My Warm-up Routine

- Release Your Breath, Stretch, Do Some Light Aerobic. I usually tie this into my exercise routine.

- "S-s-s". Hissing to connect yourself to your diaphragmatic support.

- Tongue Rolls, Lip Trills. This is also to connect you to your breath. Choose a comfy mid-range note to start, and go through your range with these.

- "Ah" 5-note Major Scales. Easy first time. Check resonance and breaks!

- Humming into a Vowel Chant ("m-m-m, ah, a, ee, i, oh, oo"). Start with a hum on a comfy note, and while using the least amount of facial muscles possible sing "ah, ay, ee, eye, oh, oo". Try to create the same buzzy feeling throughout, go through your range like this.

- "He" 2nds Major/ Minor. I alternate with "ge", "me", "ze", "ah" too. Go through your range.

- "Ee" Sirens. "Ee"-slide to the 5th, then back down to the first, finish with a 5-note major scale. Go through your range. This will help you smooth out your breaks.

- "Oo"-s. I either do a chromatic or a pentatonic blues riff I like to do, until I've covered my range.

- Portamento "oh-ah". This is going to sound like a siren winding down. Start with an "oo", and slip into an "ah" as you reach your lowest note, then wind back up returning to "oo".

- "Ee, ee, ew"/ "Ah, ah, aw"-s. These are spoken at different pitches.

- "Aw" and "Ay" Chromatic Scales (check for ease). Sing "aw"-s and "ay"-s using chromatic scales, cover your range.

- Staccato "ha"-s. Spoken or sung "ha, ha, ha".

- "Yai-yai"-s. Starting at the top of a 5-note major scale "yai, yai, yai, yai, yai".

- Crescendos. Pick a comfy note. Start at the quietest you can be, and while holding it out, slowly increase the volume, the back to quiet. Go through your range.

- Straws. This is one of the best low impact/ easy warm-up techniques. Singing/ doing scales through a straw. I have a few different sizes of metal cocktail straws that I travel with. The added benefit of this as well is that the little bit of blow back you get eases and evens out the pressure of you blowing air only one way. This goes both ways! Ha! And also helps teach your vocal folds to handle the balance and dance they do together while using the least amount of air pressure.

Also, another fun exercise to help train your breathing is playing harmonica! Because you have to focus on holding out notes and melodies using your air pressure.

Here's a Sample of My Cool-down Routine

- Portamento "oo-ah"-s. From top of range down.

- "Ee" Scales. From head voice down.

- Humming. Light humming.

- Tongue Rolls, Lip Trills.

Like I said before, there is no set time for how long you warm up or cool down. You have to listen to your body. And if you are embarrassed to warm up or cool down ('cause we do make a ton of funny noises), my vocal teacher, Steve Whiteman, taught me to use a rolled up towel to muffle the sound. The bonus to that is it forces you to breath between every line too! We are athletes, poets, icons, and humanitarians all rolled into one. We are singers. Rock on!